In some cultures, dimples are actually considered to be a sign of good luck, apart from adding a quirky type of charm to a smile. Although dimples are actually formed due to a defect in the cheek muscle, the resulting effect provides quite a positive appearance in one’s facial expression when smiling. Therefore, both men and women have desired to have dimples and see them as an asset. Fortunately, nowadays, there is a surgical method to give you those dimples you desire. Dr. Amiya Prasad can advise you if you are a good candidate for this procedure and recommend the best position and size for you dimple.
Dimple Creation Procedure
The Dimple Creation Procedure takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. The procedure is carried out under local anesthesia.
- The incisions are made on the inside of the cheek, to prevent scars or incisions on the outside surface of the skin.
- A punch biopsy instrument is placed alongside the inner cheek (buccal mucosa) in line with the location of the dimple, then circular motions are made which cuts through the inner cheek, sub-mucosal and cheek muscle.
- The circular tissue is removed and the rest of the skin is left intact.
- The skin is then positioned appropriately to create a dimple and the cylindrical gap is closed with absorbable sutures.
- The sutures are placed through the cheek muscle connecting the dermis layer of the skin.
- A surgical knot is then tied which dimples the skin without a smile.
The sutures dissolve and is reabsorbed in 2 weeks. The skin then flattens out creating a normal appearance. When the internal scar heals, it connects the cheek muscle to the skin, thus creating a dimple when smiling. This period could vary from a few days to several weeks depending on the patient’s healing rate and the extent of tissue removed. A dimple creation surgery can be performed both on cheeks that are chubby or not. Keep in mind that the size of the dimple determines the amount of tissue to be removed.
Dimple Creation Recovery
A great deal of post-surgical care always has to be maintained, since the oral cavity is a source of bacteria. An anti-septic mouth wash must be used a couple of times a day to keep the site as germ free as possible. Suitable antibiotics will also be prescribed to help with faster healing. Dr. Prasad can also provide medications to relieve any pain, if needed. Mild to moderate inflammation will remain for a few days. Overly animated facial expressions should be avoided for better results during the healing phase.
In certain rare cases there could be a temporary weakness of the cheek muscle after the surgery which could last for weeks. As with any surgery there are some risks. However, rest assured, New York facelift specialist Dr. Amiya Prasad will meet with you to discuss all information you will need to make a proper and informed decision.